Export the current HTML document
in zip format
Abstracts on Sustainable Agriculture
(GTZ; 1992; 423 pages)
Abstracts On Traditional Land-Use Systems
1. Sustainability of land use systems: the potential of indigenous measures for the maintenance of soil productivity in sub-sahara african agriculture.
2. Building on local knowledge - the challenge of agroforestry for pastoral areas.
3. Alternatives to the traditional land-use system in alentejo, portugal, with special reference to soil tillage (alternative zum traditionellen landnutzungssystem im alentejo, portugal, unter besonderer ber_cksichtigung der bodenbearbeitung.)
4. Indigenous farming systems and development of latin america: an amazonian example.
5. Socio-economic and institutional considerations in improving shifting cultivation in tropical Africa.
6. Traditional agriculture in southeastern Nigeria: demographic, land tenure, and other socio-economic factors.
7. Appropriate land use systems for shifting cultivators.
8. The sustainability of the impact of the integrated rural development programme (IRDP) Zambia/nw-province.
9. Traditional knowledge about the use of soils in the Solomon Islands.
Abstracts on farming systems research and development
1. Using indigenous knowledge in agricultural development.
2. On-farm sustainable agriculture research: lessons from the past, directions for the future.
3. A manual for culturally-adapted market research (cmr) in the development process.
4. Environmentally compatible agricultural development. Resource, food and income security as a task for development and structural policy.
5. The economics of sustainable agriculture: adding a downstream perspective.
6. Monitoring and evaluation in the management of agricultural research.
7. Sustainable institutions for african agricultural development.
8. Human resource management for national agricultural research: lessons from ISNAR's experience.
9. A conceptual framework for studying the links between agricultural research and technology transfer in developing countries.
10. Linkages between on-farm research and extension in nine countries.
11. Resource-poor farmer participation in research: a synthesis of experiences from nine national agricultural research systems.
12. Organization and management of field activities in on-farm research: A review of experience in nine countries.
13. Social and human dimensions of agricultural development in africa in the perspective of the year 2000 (dimensions sociales et humaines du developpement agricole de l'Afrique dans la perspective de l'an 2000. ).
14. Nature and society.
15. Development of fragile lands: theory and practice.
16. Agricultural research networks as development tools: views of a network coordinator.
17. Measures of protection: methodology, economic interpretation and policy relevance.
18. Women in development in southern africa; an annotated bibliography.
19. Women in development: a resource guide for organization and action.
20. Income generation and african rural women: choice or mere neglect.
21. Accelerating technology transfer by means of atta (advanced technologies in traditional agriculture).
22. Projects with people: the practice of participation in rural development.
23. Technological innovations in latin american agriculture.
24. Agricultural compendium - for rural development in the tropics and subtropics.
25. Guidelines for designing development projects to benefit the rural poor.
26. Participatory education and grassroots development: the case of rural appalachia.
27. Approaches that work in rural development: emerging trends, participatory methods and local initiatives.
28. Participatory rapid rural appraisal in wollo: peasant association planning for natural resource management.
29. Farmers' knowledge of agricultural practices: a sri lankan experience.
30. The sustainability of the impact of the integrated rural development programme (irdp) zambia/nw-province.
Abstracts on integrated systems
1. Intensive sustainable livestock production: an alternative to tropical deforestation.
2. Utilization of the african giant land snail in the humid area of nigeria.
3. Important issues of small-holder livestock sector worldwide.
4. Small ruminant production in developing countries.
5. Microlivestock little-known small animals with a promising economic future.
6. Assisting African livestock keepers.
7. Deer farming.
8. Economic constraints on sheep and goat production in developing countries.
9. Sheep. Pigs.
10. Strategies to increase sheep production in East Africa.
11. Alternatives to imported compound feeds for growing pigs in solomon islands.
12. Economic analysis of on-farm dairy animal research and its relevance to development.
13. Grazing management: science into practice.
14. Fish-farming in sub-Saharan Africa: case studies in the francophone countries - proposals for future action.
15. Research and education for the development of integrated crop-livestock-fish farming systems in the tropics.
16. Goats/fish integrated farming in the philippines.
17. The sustainability of aquaculture as a farm enterprise in Rwanda.
18. Double-cropping malaysian prawns, macrobrachium rosenbergii, and red swamp crawfish, procambarus clarkii.
19. Rice/fish farming in Malaysia: a resource optimization
20. Biotechnology in fishfarms: integrated farming or transgenic fish?
21. Agricultural engineering in the development: tillage for crop production in areas of low rainfall.
Abstracts on cropping system
1. Green manure crops in irrigated and rainfed lowland rice-based cropping systems in south Asia.
2. Comparative evaluation of some inter-cropping systems in the humid tropics of southern nigeria.
3. Intercropping improves land-use efficiency.
4. A new maize modernizes savanna farming.
5. Analysis of the environmental component of genotype x environment interaction in crop adaptation evaluation.
6. Climatic analyses and cropping systems in the semiarid tropics.
7. Field crop production in tropical Africa.
8. The cultivated plants of the tropics and subtropics.
9. Software system for plant growth prediction.
10. Flood-tolerant crops for low-input sustainable agriculture in the everglades agricultural area.
11. The physiology of tropical production.
12. Achieving sustainability in cropping systems: the labour requirements of a mulch rotation system in Kalimantan, Indonesia.
13. Grain yield responses in rice to eight tropical green manures.
14. Utilization efficiency of applied nitrogen as related to yield advantage in maize/mungbean intercropping.
15. Effects of two underseed species, medicago polymorpha l. And scorpiurus muricatus l.,on the yield of main crop (durum wheat) and subsequent crop (teff) under humid moisture regimes in Ethiopia.
16. Characterization and environment-management relationships in beans and sorghum intercropped with maize in honduras. (caracterizacion y relaciones ambiente-manejo en sistemas de frijol y sorgo asociados con maiz en Honduras.)
17. Production potential of pigeonpea/pearl millet intercropping system in rainfed diara (floodprone) areas of eastern uttar pradesh, India.
18. Effect of mixed cropping lentil with barley at different seeding rates.
19. Yield performance and complementarity in mixtures of bread wheat (triticum aestivum l.) And pea (pisum sativum l.).
20. Economic feasibility of green manure in rice-based cropping systems.
21. Effect of nitrogen on pigeonpea (cajanus cajan) and rice (oryza sativa) intercropping system.
22. Smallholder cotton cropping practices in Togo.
23. Effect of row arrangement on yield and yield advantages in sorghum/finger millet intercrops.
24. Yield, economics and nutrient balance in cropping systems based on rice (oriza sativa).
25. Mechanisms for overyielding in a sunflower/mustard intercrop.
26. Agronomic modification of competition between cassava and pigeonpea in intercropping.
27. Production and economic evaluation of white guinea yam (dioscorea rotundata) minisetts under ridge and bed production systems in a tropical guinea savanna location, Nigeria.
28. Evaluation of intercropping cassava/corn/beans (phaseolus vulgaris l.) In northeast Brazil.
29. Intercropping of sweet potato and legumes.
30. Cassava in shifting cultivation. - a system approach to agricultural technology development in Africa.-
31. Economic returns from yam/maize intercrops with various stake densities in a high-rainfall area.
32. Performance of three centrosema spp. And pueraria phaseoloides in grazed associations with andropogon gayanus in the eastern plains of Colombia.
33. Barley, lentil, and flax yield under different intercropping systems.
34. Biological potential and economic feasibility of intercropping oilseeds and pulses with safflower (carthamus tinctorius) in drylands.
35. Screening of different tropical legumes in monoculture and in association with cassava for adaption to acid infertile and high al-content soil.
36. Intercropping studies in peanut (arachis hypogaea l.).
37. Intercropping of rainfed groundnut (arachis hypogaea) with annual oilseed crops under different planting patterns.
38. Resource use and plant interactions in a rice-mungbean intercrop.
39. Cassava/legume intercropping with contrasting cassava cultivars. Part I
40. Cassava/legume intercropping with contrasting cassava cultivars. Part II
41. A post-green revolution strategy for the improvement of small farmer-grown common beans.
Abstracts on agroecology
1. Rural common property resources: a growing crisis.
2. Making haste slowly: strengthening local environmental management in agricultural development.
3. Farming for the future: an introduction to low-external-input and sustainable agriculture.
4. Public policies affecting natural resources and the environment.
5. Human development and sustainability.
6. Caring for the earth - a strategy for sustainable living.
7. Agriculture and natural resources: a manual for development workers.
8. Environmental guidelines for resettlement projects in the humid tropics.
9. Saving the tropical forests.
10. Values for the environment, a guide to economic appraisal.
11. Alcohol fuels - options for developing countries.
12. Diffusion of biomass energy technologies in developing countries.
13 When aid is no help: how projects fail, and how they could succeed.
14. Natural resources and the human environment for food and agriculture.
15. World development report 1992 - development and the environment.
16. Species interactions and community ecology in low external-input agriculture.
17. Development strategies and natural resource management for humid tropical lowlands.
18. Environmental management of the northern zone consolidation project in Costa Rica: strategies for sustainable development.
19. Environmental assessment: the valles altos project in Bolivia.
20. Environmental crisis in Asia-Pacific.
Abstracts on agrometeorology
1. Air pollution and agriculture.
2. The greenhouse effect and primary productivity in european agro-ecosystems.
3. Vegetation and the atmosphere:
4. Microclimate: the biological environment.
5. Microclimate management by traditional farmers.
6. Environmental stress in plants.
7. The impact of climate variations on agriculture.
8. Drought spells and drought frequencies in west-Afrika (durée et fréquence des périodes séches en Afrique de l'ouest.)
9. Potential effects of global climate change on cool season food legume productivity
10. Weather and rice.
Abstracts on agroforestry
1. Tree products in agroecosystems: economic and policy issues.
2. Sustainable use of plantation forestry in the lowland tropics.
3. The palcazu project: forest management and native yanesha communities.
4. Opportunities and constraints for sustainable tropical forestry: lessons from the plan piloto forestal, quintana roo, Mexico.
5. The taungya system in south-west Ghana.
6. Planning for agroforestry.
7. Sowing forests from the air.
8. Agroforestry pathways: land tenure, shifting cultivation and sustainable agriculture.
9. Food, coffee and casuarina: an agroforestry system from the Papua New Guinea highlands.
10. Agroforestry in africa's humid tropics - three success stories.
11. Agroforestry and biomass energy/fuelwood production.
12. Regeneration of woody legumes in Sahel.
13. Medicines from the forest.
14. Potential for protein production from tree and shrub legumes.
15. Agroforestry for sustainable production; economic implications.
16. Living fences. A close-up look at an agroforestry technology.
17. Homestead agroforestry in Bangladesh.
18. Guidelines for training in rapid appraisal for agroforestry research and extension.
19. Erythrina (leguminosae: papilionoideae): a versatile genus for agroforestry systems in the tropics.
Abstracts on homegardens
1. Household gardening projects in asia: past experience and future directions
2. Vegetables research and development in the 1990s - a strategic plan
3. Biotechnology developments in tropical vegetables.
4. Characteristics of the bio-intensive approach to small-scale household food production.
5. Sustainable agriculture intensive feed garden.
6. Handling and storage of cowpea vigna unguiculata (l.) Walp. As a leaf vegetable.
7. Dry-season gardening projects, Niger
Abstracts on seed production
1. Good quality bean seed.
2. A pocket directory of trees and seeds in Kenya.
3. Seed production of agricultural crops.
4. Seed potato systems in the Philippines: a case study.
5. Seed enrichment with trace elements.
6. Current practices in the production of cassava planting material.
7. Alternative approaches and perspectives in breeding for higher yields.
Abstracts on plant protection
1. Designing integrated pest management for sustainable and productive futures.
2. Biotechnology's bitter harvest: herbicide-tolerant crops and the threat to sustainable agriculture.
3. Chemistry, agriculture and the environment.
4. Mise au point de techniques appropriées de lir qui seront utilisés par les petits agriculteurs traditionnels d'Afrique tropicale.(developing appropriate ipm technology for the traditional small-scale farmer in tropical Africa).
5. Biological control in developing countries: towards its wider application in sustainable pest management.
6. Transforming plants as a means of crop protection against insects.
7. Utilization of va-mycorrhiza as a factor in integrated plant protection.
8. Activity of four plant leaf extracts against three fungal pathogens of rice.
9. A useful approach to the biocontrol of cassava pathogens.
10. Evaluation of the biological activity of flax as a trap crop against orobanche parasitism of vicia faba.
11. Insect pest management.
12. Economic contributions of pest management to agricultural development.
13. The effects of intercropping and mixed varieties of predators and parasitoids of cassava whiteflies (hemiptera: aleyrodidae) in Colombia.
14. Prospects for traditional and cultural practices in integrated pest management of some root crop diseases in rivers state, Nigeria.
15. Studies on cowpea farming practices in nigeria, with emphasis on insect pest control.
16. Effect of various fertilizers and rates on insect pest/pearl millet relationship in Senegal.
17. Insect pests of intercrops and their potential to infest oil palm in an oil-palm-based agroforestry system in India.
18. Using weather data to forecast insect pest outbreaks.
19. Insect pest management and socio-economic circumstances of small-scale farmers for food crop production in western Kenya: a case study.
20. Rodent communities associated with three traditional agroecosystems in the San Luis potosi plateau, Mexico.
21. Grain storage losses in Zimbabwe.
22. Controlling weeds without chemicals.
23. Weed management in agroecosystems: ecological approaches.
24. Manual on the prevention of post-harvest grain losses.
25. Evaluation of efficient weed management systems in pigeonpea (cajanus cajan l.)
26. Weed management in a low-input cropping system in the Peruvian Amazon region.
27. Poblaciones, biomasa y banco de semillas de arvenses en cultivos de maiz zea mays l. Y frijol phaseolus vulgaris l. Efecto de m+todos de control y rotaciones. (Weed population, biomass, and seed bank in maize and bean crops. Effects of control methods and crop rotations).
28. Effects of groundnut, cowpea and melon on weed control and yields of intercropped cassava and maize.
29. Intercropping and weeding: effects on some natural enemies of African bollworm, heliothis armigera (hbn.) (lep., Noctuidae), in bean fields.
Abstracts on water management
1. Water management.
2. Crop diversification in irrigated agriculture: water management constraints.
3. Steam corridors in watershed management
4. Water harvesting.
5. An economic analysis of irrigation systems.
6. Production of annual crops on microcatchments.
7. Problems and lessons from irrigation projects in less developed countries of Africa.
8. Irrigation organization and management.
9. Soil water balance in the Sudano-Sahelian zone: summary proceedings of an international workshop. (bilan hydrique en zone Soudano-Sahelienne: comptes rendus d'un Atelier international)
10. Vanishing land and water.
11. Water use by legumes and its effect on soil water status.
12. Environmental impact assessment for sustainable development: chittaurgarh irrigation project in outer Himalayas.
13. Production and water use of several food and fodder crops under irrigation in the desert area of southwestern Peru.
14. Evaluation of the on-farm water management project in the Dominican republic.
Abstracts on soil fertility
1. Soil constraints on sustainable plant production in the tropics.
2. Impact of agricultural practices on soil pollution.
3. The use of organic biostimulants to help low input sustainable agriculture.
4. Nitrogen cycling in high-input versus reduced-input arable farming.
5. Green manure in rice farming.
6. Role of green manure in low-input farming in the humid tropics.
7. Green manuring with vetch on acid soil in the highland region of Rwanda.
8. Tropical lowland rice response to preceding crops, organic manures and nitrogen fertilizer.
9. Pearl millet and cowpea yields in sole and intercrop systems, and their after-effects on soil and crop productivity.
10. Influence of some characteristics of bean seed and seedlings on the tolerance to low phosphorus availability in the soil. (Infuencia de algunas caracteristicas de las semillas y plantulas de frijol Phaseolus vulgaris L. sobre la tolerancia a la baja disponibilidad de fósforo en el suelo )
11. Evaluation of diverse effects of phosphate application on legumes of arid areas.
12. Effect of n and p fertilizers on sustainability of pigeonpea and sorghum systems in sole and intercropping.
13. Efficient fertilizer use in acid upland soils of the humid tropics.
14. Vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhiza management.
15. Impact of tropical va mycorrhizae on growth promotion of cajanus cajan as influenced by p sources and p levels.
16. Benefit and cost analysis and phosphorus efficiency of va mycorrhizal fungi colonizations with sorghum (sorghum bicolor) genotypes grown at varied phosphorus levels.
Abstracts on erosion and desertification control
1. Indigenous soil and water conservation in Africa.
2. Sustainable uses for steep slopes.
3. Land restoration and revegetation.
4. Economic analysis of soil erosion effects in alley cropping, no-till, and bush fallow systems in southwestern Nigeria.
5. Soil conservation and management in developing countries.
6. Guidelines: land evaluation for rainfed agriculture.
7. Small-grain equivalent of mixed vegetation for wind erosion control and prediction.
8. A method for farmer-participatory research and technology transfer: upland soil conservation in the Philippines.
9. African bean-based cropping systems conserve soil.
10. Refining soil conservation strategies in the mountain environment: the climatic factor.
11. Conservation tillage for sustainable crop production systems.
12. Caring for the land of the usambaras - a guide to preserving the environment through agriculture, agroforestry and zero grazing.
13. Vetiver grass (vetiveria zizanioides) - a method of vegetative soil and moisture conservation.
14. Erosion in andean hillside farming.
15. Conservation tillage systems.