3.2 Preparing to Teach using the Primers
It is necessary to examine the basic steps and skills required in facilitating a literacy session. This topic addresses the necessary preparations that the instructor must do before facilitating adult learning.
By the end of this topic, participants should be able to:
• prepare a lesson plan.
c) Time: 2 hours.
d) Learning Aids: Samples of various lesson plans, manila/newsprint, markers.
e) Procedure and Learning Points:
1. [10 min.] Trainer gives out different samples of lesson plans, lets instructors form groups and discuss the main features of literacy lesson plans.
2. [10 min.] Group presentations of their findings.
The main features of a lesson plan include a title of the lesson (topic), objectives of the lesson, key words or sentences for literacy, methods of instruction, instructor’s and learner’s activities, materials (learning aids), evaluation and time taken for each activity.
3. [50 min.] Ask participants to identify the resource materials for preparing a lesson plan and draw up one.
Preparing a lesson plan:
- Identify the topic to be taught.
- practical lesson for skill teaching.
- Consider aids to use such as pictures, posters, visitors or resource persons.
4. [40 min.] Prepared lesson plans are displayed and feedback (appraisals) given in a participatory manner.
Participants note whether the lesson plan is addressing the following:
- having specific, achievable, measurable and time bound learning objectives.
f) Assessment: [10 min.]
Let participants critically analyse the various lesson plans made by the different people.
Ask participants to prepare lesson plans individually on topics of their own choice to be displayed later.
[Ukrainian] [English] [Russian]