A sickness insurance system should be compulsory for all workers with the following exemptions:
• temporary and occasional employment;
• in the case of wages or income exceeding the amount determined by national law;
• if the compensation is not a money wage;
• workers below or above age-limits established by the law; and
• members of the employer's family.
The system should be administered by non-profit institutions under the supervision of the competent public authority. The insured persons and the employers should share the financial burden of the system. The insured person is entitled to receive, in case of incapacity for work on health grounds:
• a cash benefit for at least the first 26 weeks of incapacity for work; and
• medical treatment, medicines and appliances free of charge or on paying only a part of the cost.
C. 102: Social Security (Minimum Standards), 1952
C. 130: Medical Care and Sickness Benefits, 1969
→ see also Social security/social protection