Graphic 2 - Family suffering from guinea worm
Family suffering from guinea worm
(In this graphic, an entire family is confined to home with guinea worm disease)
• No one is able to work in the fields. The family will not be able to produce enough food to sustain themselves for the year.
• The house and yard are not maintained, causing unhygienic conditions that lead to many common illnesses.
• The woman is not able to accomplish her domestic work which probably means the family is not eating well. Small children are not being taken care of (perhaps missing vaccinations) and a general unhygienic condition exists.
• The children are not able to attend school for months at a time and often drop out for good.
• There is much pain and suffering for everyone in the family.