Graphic 3 - Prevention of guinea worm disease
Prevention of guinea worm disease
(In this graphic, a woman filters water for her neighbor who has guinea worm.)
• The filter or cloth should be checked for holes before each use.
• The filter must be on the jar correctly to avoid accidental contamination.
• The filter must be removed carefully to avoid accidental contamination.
• The filter must be shaken out (away from filtered water jar) and washed carefully after each use.
• The jar with filtered water inside should be covered to protect it from dirt and insects.
• Fetching water for an infected member of the community helps prevent the recontamination of the water source by keeping those sick with guinea worm out of the water.