Natural stone foundations
• Stone foundations are made of rubble (undressed stone) or squared stone; similar construction is possible with broken brick and concrete from demolished buildings.
• The quality of mortar is of importance to achieve good strength. An example of a good mix is:
- 4 parts cement
• Construction should start on firm, uniform strong subsoil. It should not be started on grass, black fertile soil, filled up materials or mud.
• Under the foundation there should be a layer of lean concrete (min. 5 cm) or tamped sand; minimum depth 40 cm.
• In earthquake areas, reinforcement with wire mesh or steel rods is required, but professional advice should be sought. Further information: Bibl. 01.01, 01.05, 01.06, 20.05.
[Ukrainian] [English] [Russian]