Burnt brick foundations
• Burnt brick foundations are principally the same as masonry wall constructions, but begun under the ground, either directly on a bed of tamped sand or lean concrete, or on a concrete footing.
• A widened base is preferable to distribute the weight of the walls.
• Care must be taken to lay the bricks in perfectly level courses, and measures for waterproofing are important.
• A good mortar for masonry foundations is:
- 4 parts cement
• In earthquake areas, masonry foundations should be reinforced with wire mesh or thin rods. Professional advice should be sought. Further information: Bibl. 20.04, 20.05.
[Ukrainian] [English] [Russian]