Session III-3: Equipment shed, feed shed and pump - trainee responsibilities
Total Time: Not applicable
Overview: This is not a session, but is a description of how responsibility for the care and maintenance of equipment, coordination of the use of equipment, upkeep and organization of the sheds and maintenance of resource inventory is transferred to the trainees.
1. Control of the equipment shed and pump is turned over to trainees after all trainees have taken an inventory of the equipment shed and received instruction in the care and use of the pump.
2. Once each trainee's feeding plan is accepted by the relevant trainer, he/she is to take an inventory of the shed that contains the feeds and fertilizers, similarly to the way this was done with the equipment shed. The trainees requisition feed and fertilizer as they do equipment until the point where everyone has begun feeding.
3. Each shed is assigned a trainee manager (or managers) who will be responsible for developing guidelines for the use of equipment, organizing and maintaining inventories, replacing, cleaning and repairing equipment. If the group is large, managers can be assigned to very specific sets of items (for example, a net manager, a tool manager and a water test kit manager).
4. Shed managers devise a system for the group to share the responsibility of equipment maintenance. Although they have ultimate responsibility, they are encouraged to involve everyone. Usually, a rotating system is designed giving each trainee a certain number of days on duty.
5. Some of the specific duties of the managers include:
6. As training proceeds, trainees are so busy that they sometimes get sloppy about the equipment and sheds. Managers may call special meetings with trainees or impose certain restrictions as they see fit if it becomes necessary, but should clear all actions through a trainer before implementing them.
7. When the sheds are turned over to the trainees, the staff provides a list of cost and rent prices for all tools, equipment, feeds, fertilizers, etc. that are available in the sheds. Trainees may request price information on any items they use or obtain later that are not on this list.
[Ukrainian] [English] [Russian]