Goal: to protect the health of the public from potential harm which may result from the unsafe or ineffective disposal of expired or otherwise unwanted medical items including drugs.
To institute and maintain a system which will ensure the safe, effective and controlled disposal or destruction of such items
1. Collaborate with all relevant agencies in drawing up and effectively implementing:
• national guidelines for the disposal of these items (preferably within the context of a national health-care waste management plan)
• any necessary supporting legislation and standards
The guidelines and plan will include safe and cost-effective strategies and procedures for:
• identification of drugs and medical supplies waste
2. Develop, institute and maintain a training programme for all those who will be involved in the handling and processing of such waste.
3. Systematically monitor and evaluate the implementation of the drugs and medical supplies waste management plan and make any necessary amendments.
4. Ensure adequate investment in the required waste disposal equipment/technology in order to establish adequate national capacity to efficiently dispose of unwanted medical products.