Goal: to ensure the provision of high quality dispensing services throughout the public and private health systems.
1. To ensure that dispensing practices at all levels in both the public and private sectors comply with recommended standards of good dispensing practice
2. To improve the availability and performance of suitably trained dispensing staff
3. To institute generic substitution as a means of improving access to and affordability of drugs
1. Develop and circulate guidelines on good dispensing practice for all dispensing personnel in both the public and private sectors
2. Ensure the training of sufficient numbers of the required dispensing staff and incorporation of essential drugs/rational drug use concepts into formal training curricula
3. Establish a practical and sustainable system for the regular monitoring of dispensing practices
4. Strengthen systems and procedures for the inspection and licensing of dispensing premises and personnel
5. Actively promote the concept and practice of appropriate generic substitution in dispensing following strict criteria and update the relevant legislation accordingly.