Tanzania has established a Drug and Toxicology Information Service (TADATIS), with the objective to provide information to both health workers and the general public. Its main responsibility is to prepare unbiased information about all aspects concerning drugs.
Based on specific requests TADATIS gives tailor-made information on an ad hoc basis. It produces quarterly a Drug Information Bulletin and will continue to do so. The bulletin will however focus more and more on matters of local interest, such as
- registration and deregistration of drugs
- regulatory matters concerning specific drugs, relevant to Tanzania
- local reports on adverse drug reactions
- utilization studies and reports on locally available drugs
- counterfeit pharmaceuticals
- reports on hospital therapeutic committees, their activities, strategies and achievements
- ministerial drug policy matters.
The drug information unit will establish training courses on drug information, which are initially intended for Regional Pharmacists. On the long term these courses may become of interest to other countries in the region.
A National Drug Formulary, which gives comprehensive information on the drugs in the NEDLIT will be prepared by TADATIS in close collaboration with the PSU and supported by a Formulary Committee.