Goal: to consider, and support if appropriate, development of efficient local production of essential drugs of good quality, safety and efficacy, relevant to national needs and resources.
1. To create an environment conducive to the establishment of increased national capacity for the production of essential drugs
2. To ensure that local production follows recommended procedures, ie. current Good Manufacturing Practice (cGMP), and statutory requirements
1. Establish a system of incentives for the local manufacture of essential drugs (eg. tax incentives, tender preference, reduced import tariffs, reduced rates for electricity and water consumption)
2. Institute regular and systematic inspection of premises and processes to ensure full adherence to licensing requirements and current Good Manufacturing Practice (cGMP)
3. Improve local pharmaceutical technical capacity by encouraging and assisting in the training of sufficient numbers of staff in pharmaceutical production techniques, quality assurance and cGMP.
4. Institute a system of monitoring and support supervision to ensure maintenance of required standards.